Friday, March 26, 2010

The Office

I love seeing pictures of the places where writers work. Perhaps this is because I’m basically nosy and like seeing the insides of people’s houses.


My office is at the back of the house, shoddily added on by the previous owners, who neglected to provide access to heat. In the winter, I usually work upstairs or in front of the living room fireplace, where it is warmer.

In its favor, my office does have high ceilings and a bay window.

Here it is:


Bookshelves make a room. I need more:



Bookshelf detail: Galsworthy, a tiny picture of Big Ben, a bust of Dickens, a Pabst Beer opener from Robert commemorating one of our first dates:


Here’s my desk:


Desk details: my Bryn Mawr mug full of pens and pencils:


A spider made for me by a fan of Spider Storch, made at a reading at Cal State Fullerton:


Some of my inspirers: John Updike, my kids when they were babies:


The couch, where I work when the desk chair gets uncomfortable:


Sometimes I write at a local coffee shop, just to get out of the house. Great people watching, great hot chocolate, and there’s heat. But even if I’ve worked there, I like to spend a little time in my office every day anyway. It’s where I can be in the presence of pictures of my kids, vacation souvenirs, my favorite books.

Room of one’s own and all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment